Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Mystery of the Blue Train

I haven’t read any Agatha Christie for years but since I’ve started watching the BBC’s Poirot TV series my interest has been rekindled.

So I’ve just read The Mystery of the Blue Train, a Poirot novel from 1928. And it was quite a pleasant surprise. Christie’s style was less clunky than I’d remembered it and there was some sly humour. David Suchet’s portrayal of the great Belgian detective has helped me to warm towards the character quite a bit and I don’t find Poirot annoying at all.

Plus you just can’t go wrong with a murder mystery where the murder takes place on a train. Not one of these modern horrors but a real train, the sort that has sadly disappeared from our depraved modern world.

Of course with Christie you expect ingenious plotting, and you get it.

Overall an enjoyable read and I’m now on the lookout for more early Poirot in the local second-hand book shops.

No comments:

Post a Comment