Sunday, January 2, 2022

reading highlights 2021

I read 91 books this year, compared to 68 last year.

Crime

I read 34 crime novels and these were the particular highlights:

Bruce Graeme, Seven Clues in Search of a Crime, 1941

Paul Connolly, Tears Are for Angels, 1952

Robert van Gulik, The Red Pavilion, 1961

Keikichi Ôsaka, The Ginza Ghost, 1961

Charles Forsyte, Diving Death (Dive Into Danger), 1962

Science fiction

I read 26 science fiction/fantasy novels, the most memorable being:

Francis Stevens (Gertrude Barrows Bennett), Citadel of Fear, 1918

Ray Cummings, Into the Fourth Dimension, 1926

Charles Eric Maine, Spaceways, 1953

H. Beam Piper, Time Crime, 1955

Fred Hoyle, The Black Cloud, 1957

Other pop fiction

I read another 26 books that could be regarded as vintage pop fiction, the most impressive being:

Gavin Lyall, Judas Country, 1975

Harry Hossent, Spies Die At Dawn, 1958

Ian Fleming, Dr No, 1958

Desmond Skirrow, I’m Trying To Give It Up, 1968

Ian MacAlister, Driscoll’s Diamonds, 1973

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the list, which reminds me that I have Bruce Graeme’s novels sitting on my Kindle TBR pile. 🤓 Have you read “Case for Solomon”? I’ve heard good things about that title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't got to A Case for Solomon yet but I'm intending to read as many of Graeme Terhune mysteries as I can this year.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes, Happy New Year! Let's hope it's a good one.

      Delete
  3. I have meaning to try Gavin Lyall for years, I am going to have to make a bigger effort to find a few of them. They don't show up at the book sale I go to annually.

    Glad to hear that you had such a good year in reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyall changed his style several times during his career. I've only read his early stuff which is in the Alistair MacLean mode. One thing I should do this year is try some of his later books.

      Delete